Sampling Procedure for Bacteria
Requires A Sterile Bottle
- Locate a sample tap near the well, preferably not a swing, leaky or outside faucet. Remove any screens and aerators.
- Choose a metal faucet that can be sterilized properly. Sterilize the metal tip of the faucet by heating with a torch or flame. Do not flame faucet if there are plastic internal parts.
- If metal faucet is not available, sterilize the tip of a plastic faucet with 95% ethyl alcohol.
- Let water run for 2 minutes. Reduce the flow to a pencil width. Let water run for 2 more minutes.
- Remove the cap from the sample bottle without touching the rim of the bottle or inside of the cap. Place cap on a clean surface, such as a clean paper towel.
- Fill bottle up to the line. Avoid splashing.
- Return sample to U.S. Water within 30 hours.
*Sample Records Will Be Maintained for 5 Years Before Disposal
More Sampling Procedures